Tips for a Healthy Summer
Posted on Jun 27, 2011
Alta Bates Summit Medical Center wants you to enjoy a healthy happy summer. Our series of posts offer tips on how to avoid problems.
On Extremely Warm Days, Tips for Preventing Heat-Related Illness…
• Drink more fluids (nonalcoholic), regardless of your activity level and don’t wait until you’re thirsty. Drink two-four glasses of cool, non-alcoholic fluids every hour.
• Don’t drink liquids that contain alcohol or large amounts of sugar. These actually cause you to lose more body fluid. Also, avoid very cold drinks because they can cause stomach cramps.
• Be sure to keep an eye on or check infants, young children and older neighbors or family members. They are especially susceptible to heat related illness.
• NEVER leave anyone in a closed, parked vehicle.
• Make sure pets have access to water and shade.
If you liked this article, you may also like:
Sutter Health and Alameda Health System Partner to Improve Care for Frequent ER Patients Alta Bates Summit Stroke Center Earns Seventh Consecutive Gold Plus Quality Achievement Award for Improving Stroke Care Dream to Become Nurse Comes Full Circle