Water is vital to caring for patients, maintaining proper hygiene and keeping a clean environment. So, how can health care facilities join the common effort to conserve water?
Landscaping, irrigation and outdoor washing have been reduced and all Sutter Health facilities are reviewing water consumption and looking for ways to save.
“I think the public expects to see that rather than lush green lawns during a drought,” says Susan Frank, president of Suma Landscaping Inc., which maintains the grounds at all Alta Bates Summit campuses.
The goal is to permanently reduce water use while providing patients with high-quality care and personal service.
Below are the steps taken to conserve water across the Sutter Health East Bay Region:
Alta Bates Summit Medical Center
- Drought resistant and native vegetation at the new Merritt Pavilion
- Landscaping and irrigation systems designed to reduce water consumption
- Irrigation systems monitored
- Lawn watering limited to two or three days a week
- Water-saving plumbing fixtures in the new Merritt Pavilion on the Summit Campus
Eden Medical Center
- Drought resistant and native vegetation
Sutter Delta Medical Center
- Irrigation system surveyed and repaired
- Watering reduced from five days a week to two days a week
- Duration of watering reduced to five to six minutes from eight to 10 minutes
This free event offers a one-of-a-kind opportunity to walk alongside physicians and medical professionals in an effort to unite the community towards health and wellness. After all, walking as little as 30 minutes can reduce your risk of heart disease, weight gain and other preventable conditions! Join us for a two-mile walk for your health and wellness!
When: Saturday, September 13
Where: San Pablo Park, Berkeley
Time: 11 a.m. (Register & Blood Pressure Screenings) 1 to 2 p.m. (Heart Talk and Walk)
- Walk-ins and pets are welcome
- Prizes, refreshments, games and more!
Contact Gin Hansson at GHansson@lifelongmedical.org to pre-register, volunteer, or for more information.
Bring your family and join us for the grand opening celebration of Alta Bates Summit’s new Merritt Pavilion! The event will take place on Sunday, July 27 from 1 to 4 p.m.
Tour the New Facility
Alta Bates Summit staff members will explain and showcase several areas of the new pavilion, including:
• 2nd Floor: Acute Rehabilitation, Rehab Treatment Gyms and Occupational Therapy Kitchen
• 3rd Floor: Patient Rooms, Patient Dining Area, Isolation Room
• 10th Floor: Medical Surgical Unit, Patient Care Nursing Station, Bariatric Room
The new pavilion features spectacular panoramic views of the East Bay and San Francisco in a beautiful healing environment.
Guests can snap a souvenir picture in an interactive photo booth and purchase delicacies from local food trucks. You can also enjoy the new Plaza Park located across from the main entrance of the new pavilion.
Grand Opening Celebration!
When: Sunday, July 27, 1 to 4 p.m.
Where: 350 Hawthorne Avenue, Oakland
Please RSVP to let us know you’re coming.
Phone: (510) 869-8289 or email: RSVPComm@sutterhealth.org
Bring your family and join us for the grand opening celebration of Alta Bates Summit’s new Merritt Pavilion! The event will take place on Sunday, July 27 from 1 to 4 p.m. Guests are invited to tour the new building, snap a souvenir picture in an interactive photo booth and purchase delicacies from local food trucks.
Alta Bates Summit Medical Center’s new Merritt Pavilion offers a calming and healing environment – continuing a nearly 110-year tradition of providing exceptional patient care to our community. The pavilion offers spectacular panoramic views of the East Bay and San Francisco in a beautiful healing environment.
Read More about Join Us at the Merritt Pavilion Grand Opening
Diabetes has been linked to obesity, metabolic syndrome, kidney failure and stroke… what’s the connection? Are we any closer to a cure for diabetes? Elena Geels, registered dietitian and diabetes educator, will give an update on diabetes.
Wednesday, July 23
Fir Rooms, Merritt Pavilion, Summit Campus
350 Hawthorne Ave, Oakland
Call 510-869-6737 to save your seat at this free presentation.
Join our Oncology Dietitians in this workshop focusing on tips for cancer prevention through attention to lifestyle such as diet and physical activity.
- Learn how lifestyle, diet and exercise play a role in cancer prevention
- Nutrients that block or promote tumor cell growth
- Implementing a lifestyle plan for long-term health
When: Wednesday, July 30
Time: 5 to 6:30 p.m.
Where: Summit Campus, Providence Pavilion, 3100 Summit Street, Oakland
Pre-registration required. Please call (510) 869-8833.